If you are interested in participating in any of the parent learning workshops, please use the link below to sign-up.
Spring: Introduction to Special Education (SPED)
Session 1: Special Education Overview & Law
- Understand Fresno Unified’s Special Education Mission and Vision
- Understand Child Find
- Become familiar with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)
- Know 13 Eligible Disabilities Under IDEA
- Provide an overview of the Special Education Programs in Fresno Unified
- Understand the assessment process
Session 2: IEP, 504 Plan and Behavior Support
- Highlight important points, facts, features and functions of an Individualized Education Plan (IEP)
- Understand the value and importance of parent participation before, during, and after an IEP meeting
- Learn what is a 504 Plan
- Understand the differences between an accommodation and a modification
- Learn the 3 Tiers of Positive Behavior
Fall: Special Education
Session 1: District Profile and SPED Overview
This session will provide an overview of the Special Education law-Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), identify student academic needs and support services, the FUSD Special Education program Fresno Unified has to offer, and the importance of building a partnership with the school team.
Session 2: Participating in My Child’s IEP
Introduce the Individualized Education Program (IEP) process, know the purpose, function of an IEP and the important tips for parent participation before, during, and after the IEP meeting.
Session 3: Student Success
Understand the importance of self-awareness, accommodations and modifications to support student academic success.
Session 4: Q&A with SPED staff
Provide an opportunity for parents or guardians to meet with SPED experts to explain their student’s legal documents and receive a toolkit to support student achievement.
Session 5: Virtual Q&A with Adult Transition Program Staff